LoadRunner is a performancce testing tool from HP. It’s a important part of HP IT Management Software. LoadRunner was acuaired by HP from Mercury in November 2006. This tool automates business scenarios for validating system’s behavior and performance while generating actual load to system.
Key features of LoadRunner *
* Emulates production workloads
* Tests range of application types: rich internet, Web 2.0 and composite
* Identifies performance bottlenecks
* Diagnoses root cause issues
* Improves application performance before deployment
* Test new technologies in tandem with legacy applications
* Decrease the risk of deploying systems that fail performance requirements
* Reduce hardware and software costs by accurately predicting application scalability and capacity
* Establish service level agreements before go-live
* Accelerate the delivery of high-quality applications
* Pinpoint end-user, system-level and code-level bottlenecks
* Reduce the cost of defects by testing earlier in the application lifecycle
LoadRunner Key Components:
Vugen - Virtual User Generator (VuGen) –records Vuser scripts that emulate the steps of real users using the application.
Load Generator - Load generators (also known as hosts) are used to run the Vusers that generate load on the application under test.
Controller - The Controller is an administrative center for creating, maintaining, and executingScenarios. The Controller assigns Vusers and load generators to Scenarios, starts and stops load tests, and performs other administrative tasks.
Analysis - LoadRunner Analysis uses the load test results to creategraphsandreportsthat are used to correlate system information, identify bottlenecks, and performance issues.
* This info from HP LoadRunner page